Dear Mouthy Housewives,
My no-longer-so-much-of-a little girl is turning 9 next month, and has insisted that her theme be Mexican Ninja Zombies. Seriously. I’m freaking lost.
I mean, I could get doing Mexican food, but how do I decorate and plan games for a party centered around Mexican Ninja Zombies? In the July heat? For nearly 50 kids? If none of you can help me, I’m going to have to resort to icing down a cooler full of Cuervo for me and letting them all run wild with a bucket of shurikens. (Ed. note: shurikens are throwing stars.)
I have three weeks until the party. For the love of all that’s holy, advice, please! Thank you, and I love you all (and if it comes down to it, I’ll split the Cuervo with you.)
Well, that is certainly something that we call a problema. And not just because you are planning a birthday party for nearly 50 people. I hope this question isn’t too personal, but have you lost your mind?!
50 people is a wedding, not a 9 year old’s birthday party. So the first step of our Mexican Ninja Zombie fun will be eliminating, Ninja-style, some of the guests. (I am assuming that Ninja-style means miraculously rescheduling the party for a day where most of the 50 guests will be otherwise engaged.)
If for some reason that is not an option for you, how about some of these fun ideas?
1) Ask guests to come dressed as their favorite Ninja and/or Zombie. No one will know what the hell that is supposed to mean, but we will file that one under Not Our Problem.
2) Use the colors of the Mexican flag for the color scheme: Green, white and red. Also many online stores have fiesta-themed decorations.
3) For activities, try the limbo game and pin the eyebrows on famous Mexican painter Frida Kahlo. Instant fun!
4) Mexican food is a great idea! But not too much of it, because Zombies eat mostly brains. Brains, in kid terms, is jello with fruit slices.
5) If you want the party to tilt more zombie, have the kids paint each other’s nails black.
6) To honor the Ninjas (who I understand were trained in unorthodox acts of war, such as espionage, sabotage, three-legged races and assassination) I recommend one that is most fitting for your daughter and organize an activity around it. (Disclaimer: The Mouthy Housewives strongly recommend the three-legged race option.)
Talk to your daughter about what exactly her vision is for her birthday party. Does she want lots of running around/escaping from the zombies? Does she see it more along the lines of Mexican beach party? It’s possible that she is thinking one thing and expressing something else entirely.
And dear readers, if you have any ideas about the Mexican-Ninja-Zombie party (other than run for the border, lady!) please leave them in the comments. It’s the right thing to do.